Rhodes University Engineering, Mechanical and Transport
Engineering, Mechanical and Transport
The Engineering, Mechanical and Transport section – situated in the main services building at the top of Artillery Road, near Jan Smuts Hall – carries out all engineering maintenance, including preventative maintenance of machinery and mechanical equipment. It is in charge of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, pumps and pipe work of hot water systems in residences, repair of metal fittings and fixtures, and external fire escape routes and fire-fighting equipment (see Fire). The costs of installation of more expensive security measures such as extra burglar bars, high security locks and fencing should first be approved by the Acting Director of Facilities Management.
Transport: The section is also responsible for all vehicles and trailers in the University transport pool, as well as those belonging to University departments, administration and maintenance sections. Go to Transport.
View the Engineering Services A-Z
- Access control (e.g. Dallas chips) requisitions are also managed through this section.
- Furniture repairs are carried out by the Building Maintenance Section.
- A limited after-hours and weekend service is provided to deal with emergencies and faults.
- Contact: RU extension 8234/6/8, steven.peter(at)ru.ac.za
- Manager: Mr Dave Martin, RU extension 8238, speed dial 5231, d.martin(at)ru.ac.za
- Map: search “Engineering” at www.ru.ac.za/maps/
- Searching for info? Go to the Search Box (top right side of this page)
- Maintenance requests: authorised staff may submit an ONLINE REQUISITION