Rhodes University Medical Aid
All international students are required to have South African medical cover for the duration of their study at Rhodes University.
- As this is a requirement for study visa purposes, proof of cover will have to be provided when applying for your visa BEFORE your arrival in South Africa.
- The cost of this is NOT included in the Rhodes’ fees schedule.
- It is legally required by the Government that international students have medical cover, stipulated under Immigration Act 10 (2004) which requires that students must provide proof of medical cover with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act 131 (1998).
- If you unsure whether your Medical Scheme is accepted by Rhodes University, please check that it is on this list of Medical Schemes registered in South Africa, see www.medicalschemes.com/MedicalSchemes.aspx.
- If you are already a member of another Medical Aid, even one that is Internationally recognised, please be advised that you are still liable to take out a South African Medical Cover in collaboration with our ABSA Health Care Consultants.
Medical Aid Options
Medical Aid Consultants
Medical Aid consultants are come to campus every second Thursday. They are set up in the Glass Box at Eden Grove, and are up between 11:00 and 13:00.
For those who have not yet collected their cards, please do come and collect them when the consultants are here. This is also a lovely time for any questions/queries to be attended to.
- MEDICAL AID COVER GUIDE 2018– this details the available medical aid options, including costs, cover etc.