Rhodes University Water Research Institute
Institute for Water Research
Incorporating the Unilever Centre for Environmental Water Quality (UCEWQ)
Grahamstown – South Africa
The objectives of the IWR are to contribute to the knowledge of and promote the understanding and wise use of natural water resources in southern Africa.
These objectives are achieved in a number of ways:
- Research into the structure, function and components of natural water systems
- Contract projects aimed at solving specific water-related problems
- Teaching at all levels within Rhodes University
- Dissemination of information by written articles and public lectures
- Service on research and management committees outside Rhodes University
- Capacity building and community education for the water sector (How To Handbooks)
- Practising Adaptive IWRM (Integrated Water Resources Management) in South Africa
For information on Grahamstown and South African water resources and what you can do, please see the RU Environment page.
IWR Plastic Policy Statement
The Institute for Water Research supports calls for an end to the use of single-use plastic water bottles except in emergency situations. The environmental and health consequences of the manufacture, transportation, use and disposal of these bottles are well documented. The Institute does not supply single-use plastic water bottles for meetings, alumni events, conferences, etc. and requires catering suppliers to comply with this. Both staff and students are encouraged to make use of multi- use water bottles.
Information on single use plastic can be obtained by following the link to the
Makana Plastic Action Group https://www.facebook.com/MakanaPlasticAction/