Walter Sisulu University Research Assistant – Department of Learning and Teaching
Walter Sisulu University is a multi-campus, comprehensive University, with its seat at its Nelson Mandela Drive Site in Mthatha. The University has four campuses in Mthatha, Butterworth, Buffalo City and Queenstown, which are headed by Campus Rectors.
The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) published in March 2019 undergraduate cohort studies report, which examines throughput and drop-out rates of first-time entering students in public higher education institutions for the cohort years 2000 to 2016 which states The creation of the student tracking unit (STU) is intended to address the abovementioned concerns in a manner which allows the university to improve through-put, retention, tracking and continuing student support throughout the learning cycle and to do so in a manner that is cognisant of the underlying Principles for Good Practice to improve student outcomes.
We are looking for a Data Analyst research assistant to join our student tracking unit (STU). You will be in charge for managing our data set, developing reports, and troubleshooting data issues. To do well in this role you need a very fine eye for detail, experience as a data analyst, and deep understanding of the popular data analysis tools, software and databases. The appointment will be in the STU but the appointed person will be also assisting in the Institutional Research and Planning in issues related to student tracking data. The incumbent reports to the Manager STU in respect of the key performance areas listed hereunder.
- An Honors Degree in computer Science/ Statistics /Data Analytics and related discipline
- A Masters will be an advantage
• Minimum of one year experience in working with data in higher
• Minimum of one year experience in working with data in the industry
Key Performance Areas:
- Managing students’ data, including creation, updates, and deletion.
- Provide quality assurance of imported data, working with quality assurance analyst if necessary.
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Processing confidential data and information according to guidelines.
- Helping develop reports and analysis.
- Supporting initiatives for data integrity and normalization.
- Assessing tests and implementing new or upgraded software and assisting with strategic decisions on new systems.
- Generating reports from single or multiple systems.
- Outsourcing, Troubleshooting the reporting database environment and reports.
- A high level of self-motivation as well as the ability to multitask and work independently, but also within a team context.
- Supervise, plan, and coordinate, and conduct research and program evaluation activities for the unit
- Work together with the evaluators on data collection and quantitative and qualitative analysis duties
- Coordinate, develop, and initiate, and respond to information and data requests received from within the unit to allow for evidence-based and data-informed policy
- A high level of interpersonal group facilitation and communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrates the ability to present data using visualization and analysis tools and carry out quantitative analysis
- Familiarity with data modelling, including regression models
- Experience with Excel, SQL, Tableau, SAS, and/or Python
- Ability to manage large data sets
- Good organizing skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good presentation skills.
Package & Remuneration
Applicants who have not been informed about the outcome of their application within two months from the closing date may regard their application as having been unsuccessful.
“WSU is committed to Employment Equity and persons with disability are encouraged to apply